Algic is a very widespread language family of North America, containing two main branches - Ritwan (composed of only Wiyot and Yurok) and Algonquian, composed of three sub-branches -- Eastern Algonquian, Plains Algonquian and Central Algonquian. We informally use the term Broader Algic to mean Algic together with genetically unrelated but areally loosely related languages (such as Hokan/isolate Karuk).
Mithun (1999) lists the following languages and dialects (in italics) in this family:
- Eastern Algonquian
- Passamaquoddy = Maliseet = Malecite-Passamaquoddy
- Eastern Abenaki: Penobscot=Old Town,Caninba†,Arrosagunticook†,Pigwacket†
- Western Abenaki = Abnaki = St. Francis
- Loup A† = Nipmuck?
- Loup B†
- Massachusett = Nantick†: North Shore, Natick, Wampanoag, Nauset, Cowesit
- Mohegan-Pequot†: Mohegan, Pequot, Niantic, Montauk
- Quiripi = (Quinnipiak = Connecticut)-Naugatuck-Unquachog-Shinnecock†
- Mahican†: Stockbridge, Moravian
- Munsee = Delaware: Munsee, Wappinger
- Unami = Delaware = Lenape: Northern†, Southern, Unalachtigo†
- Nanticoke†: Nantikoke, Choptank, Piscataway = Conoy
- Powhatan = Virginia Algonquian†
- Pamlico = Carolina Algonquian = Pamtico = Pampticough†
- Central Algonquian
- Eastern Cree dialects East Cree, Naskapi, Montagnais,
- Western Cree dialects Plains Cree, Woods Cree, Western Cree, Swampy Cree, Eastern Swampy Cree, Moose Cree, At(t)ikamek(w) = Tête de Boule; Mi(t)chif
- Ojibwe = Ojibwa = Ojibway = Chippeway:
- Saulteaux, Northwestern Ojibwe, Southwestern Ojibwe, Severn Ojibwe, Central Ojibwe, Ottawa = Odawa, Eastern Ojibwe, Algonquin
- Menominee = Menomini
- Fox = (Mesquakie)-Sauk-Kickapoo
- Miami-Illinois = Peoria†
- Plains Algonquian
- Proto Algonquian
(The separation here between Plains and Central Algonquian contradicts Mithun, who considers the two a single branch. The classification of Fox/Sauk/Kickapoo as Central follows Ethnologue.)
Additional languages will be considered as part of the "Broader Algic" category in our project:
Hokan - a group of North California isolates that forms a sprachbund with (Algic, Ritwan) Yurok (Conathan, 2002)
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
- [+] Algic (2)
- [+] NW California Sprachbund (4)
Media in category "Broader Algic"
This category contains only the following file.